Friday, April 23, 2010

Home is where the heart is

Next week I will be flying to a destination that I didn’t even know existed until a couple of months ago. Some say it’s nice, others disagree, but I say it’s whatever you make it out to be.

These days, more often than not, I find myself getting emotional when I hear the national anthem play before a baseball game starts, or when a Veteran thanks me for my service when God only knows how much he or she has seen and been through, but more recently, when I’m ordered to wear my dog tags at all times.

My nation is in a time of need, and I can truly say that I feel honored to be able to defend a country where freedom and liberty greatly abounds. Like FDR once said, “In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved”.

As I continue to blog throughout my time spent in the desert, I want to encourage you to notice life and all the beauty that’s in it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Take life one day at a time, and love every second. Do thoughtful things, and take spontaneous trips. Love with everything you have, and don’t be scared. Know how to truly receive God’s forgiveness when you make mistakes. Cherish your friendships. Never hold grudges, just move beyond them. Learn what your passion is, and write it down and figure out how you’re going to get there. Practice integrity. Don't worry about the things that don't come naturally, if it's meant to be, it will happen. Work very, very hard, but don’t forget to splurge on yourself because that’s why you work. And lastly, please don’t ever take your freedom for granted.

Buffalo, NY - you will ALWAYS hold my heart.

Yours truly,

York

2 comments:

  1. I almost am crying here,Ohhh nooo, I am crying, I love you precious girl! You inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I will surely follow this as you travel. Can't wait to hear more! I hope you have a wonderful adventure!
    Much love!!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete