Friday, May 7, 2010

Operation reflective belt



Where I am stationed, there are very few rules. One of them being you must wear a reflective belt at all times once the sun begins to set. Now for those of you that have driven on an Air Force Base before, you know that the speed limit is beyond slow. Unless you're walking at the speed of a snail, it's practically impossible to get hit by a vehicle. So why reflective belts are mandated to wear, I'm really not sure, but for the next 3 months this is what my life has become.

As if I didn't stand out like a sore thumb already (out of the 11,000 people here on base, only 1,000 of them are females) I just so happen to have a purple reflective belt. I brought it from home with the intention that anything to make me feel pretty while in uniform was worth bringing. Right? because let's be honest, between lip gloss, and reflective belts, that's all I really have going for me right now. Turns out you can find every color you could ever think of here in reflective belts EXCEPT for the color purple. Red, blue, yellow, green, white, orange, even pink, but no purple.

With all that said, since I've been here I've had multiple people make an effort to come up to me and ask if they could either buy or trade my reflective belt. To my humor, I decline every time.

So as if my pale, glow in the dark skin didn't cut it already, I'm thankful for my little purple reflective belt that has made me a lot of new friends since I've been here. I think it's safe to say that sometimes it's the little things in life that matter.

Yours truly,
York

3 comments:

  1. Where did you get the purple belt, then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume these have to be military issued reflective belts? Bc just to be funny I was gonna go out and buy you some obnoxious tie dyed reflective belt from like Forever 21. It seems that the 80's are making their comeback now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a purple reflective belt!!!! Just in case I ever need a relective belt I will be sure I have a stylish one.. Maybe PR could start making flowered reflective belts!!! I am sure they would make a killing on the bases overseas!!!

    ReplyDelete